Sunday, January 27, 2013

McGregor Isles- Fort Myers FL

I periodically try to educate my buyer on the area neighborhoods. Todays neighborhood is McGregor Isles.

This is one of my favorite neighborhoods. It is off Mcgregor Blvd. To familiarize yourselves, McGregor runs from downtown to Fort Myers Beach area. It actually turns right, but you probably won't notice as you go down San Carlos Blvd to the ocean. You're in a trance, driving along McGregor's palm tree lined street. You pass the Edison Ford Estates, the Edison Restaurant, and continue along looking ath the various homes that line the street. Some are bungalows, some spanish style....Your GPS interupts your joyride and you make the turn to follow McGregor and into Mcgregor Isles.

I love this neighborhood because of the waterfront lots. I love the proximity to Fort Myers beach. I love the feeling of being in a residential neighborhood. There is no HOA, so you have no huge fee to pay every month. A 'low price' home cost about $350k. You get about 2800 sq ft, and 5 bedrooms for your money, along with a dock and boat lift. You can continue to search the neighborhood into the 800k range. Some homes older than others, each with their own style, which makes it a real neighborhood. The only down side I see is city and County taxes seem to be required. 7 homes are currently active in the MLS.

Let's talk $$. Ok, most of the $300-800k neighborhoods have an HOA fee- some as high as $800/month. Now, on a good day, the HOA would pay cable and lawn care, community pool guy (that's about $250/month.). So that leaves you $600 to cover ammemities that you probably don't need. Your home usually comes with a pool and even a boat lift/dock on some. Streets are maintained by your RE taxes (which do not seem to be lower in a gated HOA development although the HOA claims to pay for the maintenance- hmmm). Did you know, that $100,000 at 5% over a 30 yr mortgage, costs you $536.82/month. Sooo, Claudia Math tells me, if I don't have an HOA I can buy 100k more house for my money and keep the same payment. Just sayin'.....

If it's out of your price range, it's ok to dream. If you are looking for waterfront, close to everything with a place to park your boat, McGregor Isles might just be the place to call home! Call me for current listings!


Claudia DeBruyn
SW FL Realtor
cell/text 781-799-7570

No comments:

Post a Comment